Quai aux Pierres de Taille

Dieser Inhalt steht nicht auf Deutsch zur Verfügung und wird daher in einer anderen Sprache angezeigt.

At the far end of the commercial dock, on the present-day Quai du Commerce, a side-branch of the Canal led to the Bassin de l’Entrepôt or ‘Warehouse Dock’. The space it occupied can still be made out, with the elongated square that extends to the back of the Royal Flemish Theatre (KVS), between Quai aux Pierres de Taille (‘Quarry Stone Wharf’) and Quai au Foin (‘Hay Wharf’). It was around this dock that goods were stored before being sold. The building that now houses the KVS was used for the same purpose. This area was also home to a cattle market. On some former industrial façades, the beams are still visible that were used to hoist the goods to the upper floors with the help of a pulley. A number of smarter-looking buildings also reflect the flourishing maritime trade that once existed in this area.

Praktische Infos

  • 1000 Bruxelles