From the Flower Quarter to Terdelt garden city

17/09/2017 - 17/09/2017

Once separated by the former Schaerbeek cemetery, the villas of the Flower Quarter and the small houses of the Terdelt garden city are today linked by a park and sports grounds. Both complexes were mainly built between 1920 and 1940. Grouped together along tree-lined avenues or streets, bordered by small gardens, these structures were influenced both by Art Deco and by the Modernist style typical of the inter-war period. A neighbourhood of opulent villas on one side; a garden city on the other, built by the Foyer Schaerbeekois, the first public social housing company created in the Brussels region. There are therefore two different atmospheres to be explored: wide avenues laid out along rectangular and perpendicular lines for the villas, and a network of short winding roads, interspersed by small squares for the social housing. The walking tour will recount two different architectural and social histories that come together on the fringes of Schaerbeek.

In cooperation with Patrimoine de Schaerbeek (PatriS).

Practical information

    • square in front of the Church of Saint Suzanne, corner of Avenue des Glycines/Glycienenlaan and Avenue Gustave Latinis/Gustave Latinislaan
    • avenue des Glycines
    • 1030 Brussels
    • Sunday only at 14h30 (duration: 1.5 hours)
      Up to 25 people per tour. In French only.
    • T
      Louis Bertrand
    • B
      Latinis