An arm of the River Senne

A gated carriage entrance leads behind a cluster of buildings once occupied by a brewery and bakery run by the Rich Clares convent and by a former coach inn from the 18th century. These buildings spanned the Senne, then uncovered. In the 1980s, it was decided to remodel the complex and construct several dozen apartments around tree and shrub-filled inner courtyards, all overlooking the Church of the Rich Clares. During the works, old river quays from the Senne were uncovered, a few metres of which were renovated. A vault even opens onto a small artificial lake filled with fish and water lilies, creating the illusion that the river still flows in this spot. There is no current here, however, only the still waters of a recreated section of the former arm of the river.

Practical information

  • place Saint-Géry 23
    1000 Brussels
    • Saturday and Sunday from 10h00 to 18h00
    • M
      De Brouckère
    • T
      Bourse/Beurs
    • B
      Bourse/Beurs