Anderlecht Béguinage

47
Anderlecht Béguinage

Few people know that Anderlecht is home to the smallest béguinage (a type of lay convent) in Belgium. Situated just a stone’s throw from the Collegiate Church of Saints Peter and Guy, it consists of two long, squat, small houses, dating from the 16th and 18th centuries and built around a walled garden with a well. This quaint site was once home to eight beguines, whose community was founded in 1252. In 1930, it was converted into a museum devoted to the history of the municipality of Anderlecht, as told through its collections of archaeological objects and examples of religious and popular art. (Listed 25/10/1938)

Practical information

  • Rue du Chapelain/Kapelaanstraat 8
    1070 Brussels
    • Sat. & Sun. from 10h00 to 12h00 and from 14h00 to 17h00
    • M
      Saint-Guidon/Sint-Guido
    • T
      Saint-Guidon/Sint-Guido
    • B
      Saint-Guidon/Sint-Guido