Bogaerts International School – Domaine de Latour de Freins

Built in a Flemish neo-Renaissance style from 1899, the Château of Latour de Freins, with its pretty gallery adjoining its rear façade, is the work of architect Henri Maquet, also responsible for the façade of the Royal Palace in Brussels. The château is surrounded by a park of 8 hectares designed by Louis Fuchs, the German landscape architect responsible for the layout of Léopold Park. Fuchs made good use of the rolling terrain and planted horse chestnut, sweet chestnut, ash, maple, American red oak, willow, plane and giant sequoia trees, 28 specimens of which have been included in the inventory of remarkable trees. The estate, intended as a place of convalescence for the ill from Brussels hospitals, was officially opened on 1 June 1903 by King Léopold II in person. After its closure in 1989, the premises were occupied by an embassy, a commercial company and the Brussels-Capital Region, before being taken over, just recently, by the Bogaerts International School. The school, founded by Rodolphe “Rudy” Bogaerts, honorary teacher to HRH Prince Laurent of Belgium, provides an English-language education and prepares its students for the International Baccalaureate. The estate constitutes an important green link between Buysdelle and Verrewinkel Woods and the Engeland Plateau and, further on, Kauwberg and Sauvagère Park. (Listed 17/09/1998)

Guided tours. Saturday and Sunday at 10h00, 12h00, 14h00 and 16h00 (French) and at 11h00, 13h00, 15h00 and 17h00 (Dutch). In cooperation with Pro Velo.

Practical information

  • rue Engeland 555
    1180 Brussels
    • Saturday and Sunday from 10h00 to 18h00
    • B
      Pasteur