In the 19th century, numerous breweries vied for trade in Brussels. The Brasserie de l’Etoile was a small family business at that time. The owner had his mansion built in the heart of the brewery. From Rue Notre-Dame du Sommeil, on which it stands, some of the buildings of the Belle-Vue brewery can be seen, just across the Canal. Located at that time between the River Senne and the Canal, the brewery was right in the midst of the industrial and commercial area. It was also not far from Rue du Houblon (‘Hops Street’). Built in 1850, the Brasserie de l’Etoile remained in operation for over a century. It was then converted into rehearsal rooms by and for the Kaaitheater. It can be spotted from afar by its red brick chimney.