Built in 1841, the Evere windmill enabled farmers in the surrounding area to mill their grain. The conical brick building has undergone a number of changes and has been used for different purposes over the years. In 1853, a steam machine was installed so that milling could be continued even when weather conditions were not suitable. The wooden blades ended up being removed as they had become obsolete. Two new structures were added to the windmill, in 1887 and 1904 respectively, to cater for cylinder mills and provide storage space. Unable to compete with the huge flour mills in Willebroek, the windmill shut its doors in 1911 and was subsequently home to various small local industries, becoming, for a time, a thermosiphon factory, a tannery, a manufacturer of small wooden machines and even a gut-processing factory supplying butchers. In the 1930s, Oscar Tausig set up his spice factory in the building, remaining there until 1983. Abandoned, the Evere windmill, as well as the garden and paved road situated in the park, became listed structures in 1990 and were acquired by the municipality of Evere in 1998. Since 2008, the restored building has been home to the Brussels Mill and Food Museum. The ground floor still contains the milling machines (that were used to process the spices), washers, cylinder mills and screeners: an ideal way of introducing the exhibition on the history of milling, from the prehistoric toothed wheel to the continuous circular movement, running in the permanent exhibition area. (Listed 20/12/1990)
Exhibition on the history of the building since its construction.