Children’s Museum – former Canonne mansion

Since 1984, the Children’s Museum has occupied a handsome private mansion built in 1914 at the request of Edmond Canonne, a Brussels tailor and milliner. In a Beaux-Arts style, it blends white stone and orange brick in a grandiloquent manner. In 1923, the building was acquired by engineer Lambert Jadot, who arranged for the street-facing structure to be built. The municipality of Ixelles eventually became the owner of the complex in 1967. Converted into a youth centre, it was subsequently used to house the Children’s Museum founded by Kathleen Lippens in 1975. All the exhibitions there have been created, thought up and set up by the museum team and fit in perfectly with the venue’s original setting. The latter has, moreover, kept a number of outbuildings and a backyard park that is very popular with very young children, who take full advantage of the low-hanging branches of an impressive English yew tree included in the inventory of remarkable trees. (Listed 18/02/2016)

Guided tours giving access to the museum’s permanent collection. Saturday at 14h00 and 16h00 (French) and at 15h00 (Dutch). Please note that bookings are essential. Call 0493/50.40.60 or e-mail info@klarelijn.be. Up to 15 people per tour. In cooperation with de Klare Lijn.

Practical information

  • rue du Bourgmestre 15
    1050 Brussels
      free admission to the museum only on guided tours
    • B
      Geo Bernier