Molenbeek Lock used to be in a different position, slightly closer to second ring of fortifications circling Brussels – on the line of the present-day Petite Ceinture inner ringroad. It was here, where the Porte de Ninove stands, that the Petite Senne river, which at that time was not culverted, entered Brussels. Between 1927 and 1938, work took place to alter the route of the Canal, including the construction of the lock still in use today. With a capacity of 43,000 m3, it is negotiated by barges and boats every day. Just off the lock is a weir that receives the overflow from the culverted Senne.