Egmont Park

A relaxing haven of greenery in this extremely built-up neighbourhood of Brussels, Egmont Park occupies the centre of a block of buildings bordered by Rue aux Laines/Wolstraat, Rue du Grand Cerf/Grotehertstraat, Boulevard de Waterloo/Waterloolaan and Egmont Palace. A watercolour plan dating from 1750 confirms that a Renaissance-style garden with orchard and vegetable gardens once stood on the site. It was reorganised for the first time between 1759 and 1762 by architect Servandoni, who opted for the French style. Towards 1820, when the medieval city walls were demolished, the park was expanded and was redesigned towards 1830 by Tilman François Suys. However, it was not until 1901 that architect Edmond Galopin gave it the appearance we see today, an English-style landscape park with winding paths, beautiful flowerbeds, a remarkable Turner’s oak, as well as exotic species such as an oriental plane tree and cedar of Lebanon. This little known Brussels park also contains an orangery, built between 1830 and 1839, an old Gothic well dating from the 15th century, a cold store with cinderblock retaining wall and a number of interesting statues. (Listed 20/07/1972)

Discovery tour of the plants and history of the park. Saturday only at 14h00 and 15h00 (duration: 1 hour). Starting point: in front of the orangery. In French only. Up to 20 people per tour. In cooperation with Cercle des Guides-_nature du Brabant (Cercles des Naturalistes de Belgique – CNB).

Practical information

  • rue aux Laines
    1000 Brussels
    • M
      Louise/Louiza
    • T
      Petit Sablon/Kleine Zavel
    • B
      Petit Sablon/Kleine Zavel