There are references to the name of this semi-natural area, located within the municipality of Uccle, as early as 1247. At that time, it was heavily wooded and existed as an extension of the Sonian Forest. In the early 16th century, the Confraternity of Saint Eligius made use of the sand and clay in the area while fields lay beside pastures and orchards. The cherry tree planted for the production of Kriek lambic beer already occupied a prominent position. In the 19th century deforestation of the plateau continued, with parts of the area later being divided up into separate plots of land. Today, meadows and wooded areas share a space planted mainly with European oak, hazel bushes, hornbeam, alder and sycamore maple trees. These trees and shrubs attract dunnocks, Eurasian nuthatches, bullfinches, goldcrests, chaffinches, buzzards, wrens, short-toed treecreepers, kingfishers as well as great spotted woodpeckers. Donkeys have been introduced to the site to clear away the brush and restore the former open spaces. The site is part of the Natura 2000 network in the Brussels Region and is a prime example of the ecological link between Verrewinkel Wood and the Kriekenput and Kinsendael nature reserves.