Originally, King Léopold II commissioned architect Henri Maquet to build a number of huge greenhouses to grow ornamental flowers for Laeken Park and the other green spaces in the capital. The greenhouses were surrounded by a park adjoining the Stuyvenberg estate designed by landscape architect Émile Laîné. After the king’s death, the Royal Trust leased the premises to a local plant nursery which, after a period of intense activity, went into decline. Taken over by the City of Brussels, for a time the greenhouses supplied flowers for the capital’s ornamental flowerbeds. However, this activity was gradually outsourced elsewhere. Conscious of the value of the site created in 1890, Bruxelles Environnement/Leefmilieu Brussel renovated the green space based on new plans by Axel Demonty, turning it into a site of experimentation and exhibition for rare plants. Demonty preserved the original visual design of the site with a wooded border, flowerbeds, ponds and belvederes offering a succession of distinct gardens. It contains a large collection of black locust, holly and camellia, among other plants.
Walking tours “From park to park” and “The gardener king”.