It is difficult to imagine that Hof ter Cauwerschueren farm (meaning “barn of the communal farm”) dates back to the 14th century, when the estate belonged to Forest Abbey. The term Hof comes from Middle Dutch and means not only an enclosed space, but also a residence with frontage and garden. By extension, it was also used to refer to buildings arranged in a square around a courtyard, which was the case here. Located close to the Roodebeek Valley – the dry riverbed can still be seen at the bottom of the park – the farm operated until 1911. It was subsequently acquired by painter Michel Sterckmans, who lived on the site until 1942. Thanks to the efforts of the current owners, the old bakery, stables, barn and pigsty, as well as the main farm building, can still be seen today. The complex is complemented by an orchard and pretty park, serving as an oasis of greenery and a precious vestige of rural life in Brussels. (Listed 03/03/2005)
Activity “Rural heritage in perspective”.