In 1804, the mayor of Etterbeek, Albert-Joseph Hap, acquired a property of around 3 hectares with a number of features, including a pond fed by the Broebelaar stream, the source of which is located nearby. Towards 1830, a brewery was built in the park which, behind its huge walls, remains one of the least known in Brussels. Expansive lawns planted with century-old trees welcome visitors who are immediately presented with an orangery, bandstand, a pretty slate-roofed octagonal gloriette and the rear of the large street-facing house built around 1859. Further on, the pond, decorated with rockeries, adjoins underbush and some ruins of uncertain origin. To the rear, the park’s former plant nursery has made way for an educational eco-garden created by Natagora and Bruxelles Environnement/Leefmilieu Brussel.
Today, the pond is populated by numerous plants, including yellow iris. The garden also contains several species included on the list of remarkable trees in the Brussels-Capital Region. (Listed 29/06/2000)
Historical tours of the park. Saturday and Sunday at 11h00, 13h00, 15h00 and 17h00 (French) and at 11h30, 13h30, 15h30 and 17h15 (Dutch) (duration: 1 hour). Up to 25 people per tour. In cooperation with Arkadia and Atelier de Recherche et d’Action Urbaines (ARAU).
Exhibition and tours “Past and future of the Hap property”.