Located within the municipality of Uccle, the rural Keyenbempt site is the last vestige of the marshes that once bordered the Geleytsbeek, a tributary of the River Senne. Expropriated by the state in 1968 to build the city’s ring road, the area avoided its intended fate and remained abandoned and uncultivated. Certain people established vegetable gardens on the site, a tradition that was maintained when the Region decided to renovate the area in 2006. One year later the park, with its wooded hillside on the right bank of the river, its marshes, its vegetable plots and its hay meadows, was reopened to the public. Beech trees, hornbeam, oak, elm and ash make up the tree layer while the shrub layer is composed of privet, holly, hazel bushes, elderberry and dogwood. Biodiversity is encouraged with a bat house and beehive, both hidden by the vegetation. The present-day layout of the Keyenbempt site is thought to be a close approximation of how it appeared when it was referred to for the first time in a document written in 1435! The site also contains the remains of a Neolithic enclosure.
Information stand and walking tours with a site manager and warden. Saturday and Sunday at 11h00 and 14h00 (duration: 1 hour). Starting point: at the warden’s hut, Rue Keyenbempt/Keyenbemptstraat. In cooperation with Bruxelles Environnement.