A remnant of Ganshoren’s rural past, the building now known as “La Charnière” was once a farmhouse, built, according to the inscription preserved on its white-washed façade, in 1792. It was converted into a café whose sign “In ‘t Oude Pachtof” (“at the old farm”) welcomed the public until the end of the 1960s. In poor condition, the main building was acquired by the municipality, which restored it and made it available to the elderly who organise numerous meetings in the venue. With Rue Léopold Demesmaeker/Léopold Demesmae_kerstraat right next door, the neighbourhood continues to resist the pressure for development and has managed to preserve a number of small farmhouses once devoted to agriculture.
rue Victor Lowet 9