Laeken/Laken Cemetery


Although the little cemetery was already a favoured burial spot, the interment of Queen Louise-Marie in 1850 in the Sainte-Barbe chapel, and then in the new Laeken church, led to a further increase in popularity, soon attracting the bourgeoisie, the aristocracy and those from the world of the arts. In just a few years, Laeken Cemetery became a sort of “Belgian Père-Lachaise”, presenting a rich overview of the funerary art of the time. Although not heavily planted, the cemetery contains an interestingly diverse collection of greenery in the form of hedgerows, paths and alignments, and a number of isolated trees. As well as honey locust, cypress, lime, tulip and juniper trees, it is worth making the detour to see the weeping beech that shades the tomb of Maria Malibran, as well as the weeping ash close to the church and a double line of Hungarian oaks that flank the grand avenue. Finally, liverwort, a primitive plant, is another curiosity of the cemetery whose vegetation adds to the romanticism of the place. (Listed 14/01/1999)

Guided tours on the general and plant-related symbolism of cemeteries. Saturday and Sunday at 14h00 (duration: 2 hours). Starting point: entrance to the cemetery. In French only. Up to 25 people per tour. In cooperation with Cercle des Guides-nature du _Brabant (Cercles des Naturalistes de Belgique – CNB).

Practical information

  • parvis Notre-Dame de Laeken
    1020 Brussels
    • Saturday and Sunday from 8h30 to 16h30 (last admission at 16h00)
    • T
      Princesse Clémentine/Prinses Clementina
    • B