In the past, it was not uncommon to move pivoting windmills from one village to another. This is what happened with the windmill on Rue des Papillons/Vlindersstraat which, brought from some unknown location, was installed, in 1864, at the edge of Anderlecht. Moved once again in 1874, it was set up on a hillock just next to the farm of its owner. The windmill continued in operation until 1928 before being acquired by the municipality in 1939. Listed in 1942, the structure gradually fell into disrepair, losing its blades and then sadly collapsing. Unlisted in 1954, the Luizenmolen was demolished the following year. A number of nostalgic Anderlecht residents, with a passion for local history, came together and created a non-profit association with a view to reconstructing the windmill. The municipality lent its support and the plans were entrusted to Brussels architect Georges Piron. A new hillock was created, not far from the original, and the Peel Brothers, windmill builders from Gistel, were hired to recreate the Luizenmolen, enabling its blades, with a span of 24 m, to once again operate the two 800 kg millstones. The windmill was officially opened in May 1999. This centre pivot windmill, of which there is a record as far back as the 12th century, continues its work today, grinding, like in the past, the wheat supplied by local farmers, thereby providing a nice touch of rural life in the capital of Europe. (Listed 08/02/2007)
Access to the educational museum and the model of the windmill.