Maison de la Francité

Built on an unknown date, but most likely before 1850, the original building was a Neoclassical style structure. It was reorganised and extended by architect Léon Govaerts at the request of Mr Hèle, the owner at the time. As well as adding a bow-window in the front, Hèle, with artist Privat-Livemont, endeavoured to redecorate the interior in an Eclectic style with hints of Art Nouveau. Mosaics featuring bouquets of lilies in vases can be seen in the hallway dressed in high-quality marble. In the drawing room on the ground floor, the stained glass of the doors and glass roof is decorated with elegant plants and stylised flowers in a harmony of shades of yellow and blue. Upstairs, the walls of the grand drawing room are decorated with Japanese style embossed wallpaper featuring golden leaves and flowers, while garlands travel across the walls of the small parlour. The complex that has been home to the Maison de la Francité since 1976 was listed in 1993 and completely restored between 2008 and 2012. (Listed 15/07/1993)

Guided tours. Sunday only at 10h00, 11h00, 12h00, 14h00, 15h00 and 16h00 (French) and at 10h30, 11h30, 12h30, 14h30, 15h30 and 16h15 (Dutch). In cooperation with Bruxelles Bavard and La Fonderie.

Practical information

  • rue Joseph II 18
    1000 Brussels
    • Sunday only from 10h00 to 17h00
    • M
      Arts-Loi/Kunst-Wet
    • M
      Arts-Loi/Madou – Kunst-Wet/Madou
    • B
      Joseph II/Jozef II
    • B
      Madou