Mellaerts Ponds

Well known to fans of fishing and canoeing, the two Mellaerts ponds were created at the end of the 19th century on the site of former Woluwe Valley marshlands. In 1883, François Mellaerts and his wife had acquired meadows and fields put up for sale by the Civil Hospices of Brussels. In 1898, the land was annexed for the new Woluwe Park during development of Avenue de Tervueren/Tervurenlaan, with the owners receiving the two ponds and their perimeter, already laid out by French architect Émile Lainé, as compensation. The state undertook to maintain the ponds on condition that the site would be accessible to the public. An agreement was reached, and the Mellaerts spouses opened a restaurant. Boulevard du Souverain/Vorstlaan soon separated the park from the ponds, which once formed a single unbroken whole. Surrounded by lawns planted with beech, ash, weeping willow, cypress and gingko trees, the ornamental ponds have gently sloping banks ideal for plants to take root. The banks are home to a variety of bird species, including Eurasian coots, Egyptian geese, great crested grebes, Canada geese, Magellan geese, swans and grey herons. (Listed 18/11/1976)

Guided tours. Saturday (led by Edgard Kesteloot) and Sunday (led by Jean-Marie Piret) at 14h00 and 16h00 (duration: 1 hour). Meet in front of Brasserie des Étangs Mellaerts, Boulevard du Souverain/Vorstlaan 275. In French only. Please note that bookings are essential. Call 02/773.05.99. Up to 20 people per tour. In cooperation with the Cultural Department of the municipality of Woluwe-Saint-Pierre/Sint-Pieters-Woluwe.

Practical information

  • boulevard du Souverain 275
    1150 Brussels
    • T
      Musée du Tram/Trammuseum
    • B
      Musée du Tram/Trammuseum