The Chinese pavilion was built on the edge of the Royal Estate at Laeken on the orders of King Leopold II between 1901 and 1910. The wooden panelling on the outside of the Chinese Pavilion and its entry pavilion were sculpted in Shanghai. The pavilion houses a major collection of Chinese ceramics manufactured for export to Europe. Following the Paris Universal Exhibition in 1900, King Leopold II decided to commence building-work on the Japanese Tower. Work was entrusted to the Parisian architect, Alexandre Marcel, known for his oriental-style buildings. It was he who purchased the entry pavilion to the Japanese Pagoda, built by a Japanese carpenter, at the Paris Universal Exhibition, and had it decorated by specialists from Yokohama.
The Museums of the Far East are closed for safety reasons until further notice.