Old Anderlecht Béguinage

Anderlecht is home to the smallest béguinage (a type of lay convent) in Belgium, referred to in historical sources as early as 1252. Situated just a stone’s throw from the Collegiate Church of Saints Peter and Guy, it consists of two long, squat modest small houses, one built in the 17th century (and part of which dates even to the 15th century), and the other in the 18th century, around a walled garden with a well. This quaint site was once the home to eight beguines (lay nuns).
Since 1930, the old béguinage has housed a museum of folklore and folk art created by Daniel Van Damme, who also founded Erasmus House. With the help of architect Charles Van Elst, Van Damme fitted out the small rooms typical of the two buildings with interiors reminiscent of daily life in the olden days: a country kitchen and a bollewinkel (a type of sweet shop) in the right wing, and a chapel, decorated with murals, and various rooms for the beguines, all furnished with old furniture, in the left wing. The lofts and other rooms house collections of archaeological objects, religious and folk art that reflect Anderlecht’s rich past. (Listed 25/10/1938)

Guided tours. Saturday and Sunday at 14h00 and 16h00 (French) and at 15h30 (Dutch).

Practical information

  • rue du Chapelain 8
    1070 Brussels
    • Saturday and Sunday from 10h00 to 12h00 and from 14h00 to 17h00
    • M
      Saint-Guidon/Sint-Guido
    • T
      Saint-Guidon/Sint-Guido
    • B
      Maison d’Érasme/Erasmushuis