Old Church of Saint Agatha

Now a cultural centre, the first church devoted to Saint Agatha occupies a site that has been used as a place of worship since 1132. It also retains a number of ancient elements, such as the Romanesque-style tower dating from the 13th century, when there was already mention of a simple chapel linked to the Abbey of Grimbergen. At that time, the Zavelenberg site provided sand while the site at Kattebroeck contained quarries which had also been operated since as early as the 13th century. It is not therefore surprising that local materials were used when constructing the church. While the ancient foundations of the building are still visible, the rest of the structure, namely a single nave with a choir set at a lower level, is of more recent vintage. The monument, which marks the old centre of the village, underwent two restoration campaigns, the first in the 17th century and the second between 1970 and 1975, during which its 18th century appearance was restored. (Listed 25/10/1950)

a href="/en/sites/heritage/event/Berchem-Sainte-Agathe-or-how-to-reconcile-city-and-nature">Exhibition “Berchem-Sainte-Agathe or how to reconcile city and nature” and walking tour “Berchem-Sainte-Agathe: between urban and rural”.

Practical information

  • place de l’Église 15
    1082 Brussels
    • Saturday and Sunday from 10h00 to 16h00
    • B
      Place de l’Église/Kerkplein