Parc du Cinquantenaire/Jubelpark

Originally, the park covered an area of just 12 hectares. It was developed as part of the major projects to extend and improve Brussels masterminded by Victor Besme, under the direction of King Léopold II, on the site of the Linthout plateau, then used as a training ground for the army. In 1888, the city decided to annex the adjacent land, still uncultivated, in order to increase the area of the park to 30 hectares. The development, designed by Gédéon Bordiau, consisted of a French-style formal flower garden, close to the buildings, and an English-style landscape garden laid out on the verges. At the time, the species planted in the park, namely elm, maple and lime, were supplied from the former cemetery in the Léopold Quarter, La Cambre Wood and the Sonian Forest. Although it was transformed into a vegetable garden during the First World War, there have been no significant changes made to Parc du Cinquantenaire/Jubelpark since it was created. The only Beaux-Arts style green space in Brussels, it contains a number of remarkable trees such as an Italian alder, honey locust and Austrian oak. It constitutes the perfect backdrop of greenery for the imposing complex built to celebrate Belgium’s fiftieth anniversary which, today, houses the Royal Museums of Art and History, the Royal Army and Military History Museum and Auto_world. (Listed 29/06/1984)

Practical information

  • parc du Cinquantenaire
    1000 Brussels
    • M
      Merode
    • T
      Merode
    • B
      Gaulois/Galliërs
    • B
      Chevalerie/Ridderschap