This tranquil little square, opened to the public in 1890, was designed in 1879 by architect H. Beyaert at the request of Mayor Charles Buls. Beyaert conceived, on the site of an old cemetery, a neo-Renaissance style garden with the railing topped with sculptures. The 48 statues, perched on small, neo-Gothic-style columns, together depict the world of Brussels’s former corporations and trades. A glover, a brewer, a glassmaker, a weaver, a boiler maker, a goldsmith, a barber, a draper and many others… all sculpted based on designs by Laeken artist Xavier Mellery. In the garden, the nine groups of boxwood hedging adorning the lawn represent the nine Belgian provinces of the time, while another group, in the shape of a crown, symbolises Belgium. The boxwood-edged flowerbeds lead to a circular pond with flowing fountain crowned by statues of the Counts of Hornes and Egmont, champions of patriotism and resistance. At the back of the square, in ivy-covered niches, can be seen ten Carrara marble statues representing some major figures from Belgian history. (Listed 20/07/1972)
Tour “Restoration of the ornate fence surrounding Petit Sablon/Kleine Zavel Park”.