Quaker House sits at a corner of the Square Ambiorix/Ambiorixsquare. Due to the positioning of the building, the architect G. Hobé, who was in charge of its construction, was obliged to find a satisfactory way of integrating it into its surroundings. He designed a white stone bow window, which, placed at an angle, rises towards a slate-tiled, slanted overhanging roof. The window is the sole visible decoration on the building’s understated façade. Hobé, who began the construction in 1898, also designed the entire interior of the house, with its colourful stained glass windows and connecting doors, vast wood-panelled staircase and parquet flooring in the different rooms. The wallpaper is also a major point of interest in Quaker House. Advanced stratigraphic analyses have enabled the original wallpaper to be located and identified, and exact copies to be made. The original Japanese paper, which was too damaged, was replaced by new aluminium-based wallpaper, with the same dimensions as the original. Hand-painted by the restorer, the new version is based on a section of the original paper, exposed to determine the correct colours and shading. It is an unexpected renaissance for this particularly interesting feature of the landscape of Brussels. (Listed 09/02/2006).