Saint-Gilles/Sint-Gillis Cemetery

Located at the far edges of the municipality of Uccle, Saint-Gilles Cemetery has an imposing Neo-Etruscan style entrance dominated by a white marble statue by Julien Dillens, depicting the “Silence of the Tomb”. After passing the entrance lodges, the cemetery reveals a number of tombs alluding to the political, artistic and cultural worlds of the municipality, as well as, in the background, a landscape of a rather unexpected rural character. Here, nature seems to create the ideal environment for eternal rest and the municipal authorities aim to maintain this state of mind by preserving grassy areas that are filled with graminae, orchids and wild thyme as well as sedum, horsetail, poppy and yarrow. This communion with nature is also evident in the rock tombs, imitations of uncut stone, often decorated with sculptures of the trunks of dead trees. During your visit to the cemetery, keep an eye out for the two copper beech trees with their extraordinary foliage that are included in the inventory of remarkable trees in the Brussels-_Capital Region. (Listed 11/07/1991)

Guided tours. Saturday only at 11h00 and 15h00. In French only.
Brochure Silence and tombs. A history of Saint-Gilles Cemetery, recounting the history of the cemetery and highlighting around fifty magnificent tombs. Free pamphlet with map of the cemetery available at the entrance.
In cooperation with Saint-Gilles municipal council.

Practical information

  • avenue du Silence 72
    1180 Brussels
    • Saturday and Sunday from 09h00 to 16h30
    • T
      Crematorium