Saint-Gilles/Sint-Gillis Town Hall

39
Saint-Gilles/Sint-Gillis Town Hall

The architect Albert Dumont was responsible for the design of the new Saint-Gilles/Sint-Gillis town hall, built on the site of a former sand quarry between 1896 and 1904. He designed a 4,267 m_ building whose two wings form a semicircle, as if to welcome the citizens. A keen Francophile, he adopted the opulent French neo-Renaissance style, playing with a combination of pink Vosges granite, Euville and Savonnières stone, brick and blue stone. At the same time, Art Nouveau was making its appearance in the neighbourhood, asserting a type of break with the established order. The Town Hall, however, sold itself on the basis of the powerful public authority that it represented, whose benefits are expressed in the impressive mural by Eugène Broerman that adorns the council chamber. Some of the greatest artists from the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries made this building a genuine museum. For example, Julien Dillens, Paul Dubois and Victor Rousseau worked on the rich, sculpted decoration, while inside, Fernand Khnopff and husband-and-wife duo the de Rudders decorated the Wedding Room. The Cérès room contains an abundance of works from most of the artists who lived in the municipality, including André Hennebicq, Jef Lambeaux, Pierre Paulus, Franz Gailliard, Julien Dillens, Jean Robie, Géo Bernier, André Massonet, Alfred Cluysenaar, Armand Jamar, Eugène Broerman and even Nicolas de Staël. (Listed 08/08/1988)

Practical information

  • Place Van Meenen/Maurice Van Meenenplein 39
    1060 Brussels
    • Sat. & Sun. from 10h00 to 17h00
    • T
      Horta
    • T
      Barrière/Bareel, Lombardie/Lombardije
    • B
      Barrière/Bareel