Sauvagère Park

Few people are aware that Sauvagère Park was once laid out around a château, demolished in 1957, and consisted of just a few copses and an entrance road leading to the building. Enlarged in 1910 and again in 1925, resulting in its current 4.5 hectares, it now consists of a mixed beech wood that covers the hilly terrain of the site, which is still traversed by sunken lanes and raised pathways. A huge artificial embankment, formed from faux rocks with a series of waterfalls, serves as a foundation for a Greek-style temple. The perimeter of the pond itself, which is made from cement, has a wild, rocky appearance and is a good example of this type of ornamental feature in the Brussels region. Here and there around the park can be seen some giant sequoias, an Atlas cedar and a tulip tree, all listed as remarkable trees. (Listed 26/06/1997)

Guided tours. Sunday only at 10h00 and 14h00 (duration: 1 hour). Starting point: entrance to the park. Up to 20 people per tour. In cooperation with SOS Kauwberg-Uccla Natura.

Practical information

  • Avenue de la Chênaie 83
    1180 Brussels
    • B
      Chênaie/Eikenbos