The Academie voor Beeldende Kunsten Anderlecht (former Vandenpeereboom home)

45
The Academie voor Beeldende Kunsten Anderlecht (former Vandenpeereboom home)

After passing through the neo-Louis XV style carriage entrance at the caretaker’s lodge, visitors enter the paved inner courtyard featuring a well adorned with beautiful, artistic ironwork. Across the way stands the “Flemish House”, which, the wrought iron anchors on its façade would have you believe, dates from 1563. However, it was actually built in 1890 by the architect François Malfait for the government minister Jules Vandenpeereboom. An Eclectic structure, the house combines the Neo-Gothic and Neo-Renaissance styles, and is a pastiche of a 16th century dwelling, in accordance with Vandenpeereboom’s wishes. After housing the minister’s collections of furniture, antiques and old books for many years, the property was transferred to the state upon his death in 1917. The rich interior decoration of the building is still intact, including many examples of panelling, stained glass windows and grand stone fireplaces, which incorporate old, salvaged sculpted elements. 
Since 1979, Vandenpeereboom House has been occupied by the Academie voor Beeldende Kunsten, which has expanded into the industrial buildings of the old print works next door. It is possible to visit several of the workshops, including those used for restoring paint, textiles, and polychrome and stone sculptures. A community vegetable garden has recently been developed to the rear of the building (Listed 28/02/2002).

Practical information

  • Place de la Vaillance/Dapperheidsplein 17
    1070 Brussels
    • Sat. from 10h00 to 17h00, Sun. from 12h00 to 17h00
    • M
      Saint-Guidon/Sint-Guido
    • T
      Saint-Guidon/Sint-Guido
    • B
      Saint-Guidon/Sint-Guido