An imposing, Eclectic style mansion occupies the corner formed by the Avenue de Stalingrad/Stalingradlaan and the Rue Rogier van der Weyden/Rogier van der Weydenstraat. Three storeys high with a mansard roof, the building, which was granted planning permission in 1883, is punctuated by solid stone balconies with fluted consoles. The façades elegantly combine rendered elements and blue stone, present in the plinth course, the stringcourses and the window surrounds. It was here that the Brotherhood of the Companions of Saint Laurence took up residence. Every year since 1308, the Brotherhood has had the privilege of planting the Meyboom (or maypole) on the corner of the Rue des Sables/Zandstraat and the Rue du Marais/Broekstraat. This annual event takes place before 5 pm on 9 August, the eve of the feast day of Saint Laurence, their patron saint. According to tradition, the merry Bûûmdroegers go into the Sonian Forest to chop down a tree. They then parade through the municipalities of Schaerbeek/Schaarbeek and Saint-Josse-ten-Noode/Sint-Joost-ten-Node before presenting the tree on the Grand Place and then planting it. However, the Companions of Saint Laurence also hold various other processions of giants associated with the Meyboom and, in 2005, this tradition was recognised as intangible cultural heritage by UNESCO.
Rue Rogier van der Weyden/Rogier van der Weydenstraat 18