In 1957, the architect Willy Van der Meeren was commissioned to build a series of apartments organised in long single-storey blocks. Fitted with numerous windows, the light-filled homes are laid out on a vast site with a lawn, accessed by two parallel streets that form the Clos des Lauriers/Lauriergaarde. Two years later, Van der Meeren was to complete what is considered his crowning achievement, a social housing complex of 105 apartments built between 1959 and 1961 in collaboration with the architect Léon Palm. Resting on concrete pillars, the various apartments are accessed via interior “streets” situated on every third floor. Their dimensions are based on the Modulor scale of proportions devised by Le Corbusier. While the material for the porticos was poured on site, all the other elements, including the façades, floors and stairs, were prefabricated. Van der Meeren extols a rationalist, economical form of architecture here, based on mass production and standardisation, which sets him apart from the early Modernists. This apartment building continues to serve as a reference for Belgian architecture and is regularly mentioned by way of example.