The Collegiate Church of Saints Peter and Guy

46
The Collegiate Church of Saints Peter and Guy

Built between the second half of the 14th century and the mid-16th century, the Collegiate Church of Saints Peter and Guy is one of the most beautiful Brabantine Gothic style churches in the Brussels Region. It benefitted from the expertise of several creators of renowned architectural works, including Jean Van Ruysbroeck, who was responsible for the choir and who also designed the tower of Brussels Town Hall, and Louis Van Boghem, the architect of the Royal Monastery of Brou, in France, who designed the porch. It was restored between 1874 and 1898 by Jules-Jacques Van Ysendyck, who also built the spire that crowns the square tower. The current structure replaces a Romanesque style collegiate church that was built in the late 11th and early 12th centuries on the site of an older church, at the instigation of a chapter of canons. This chapter was founded in Anderlecht just before 1078, at a time when a cult was developing around Guy of Anderlecht, who was soon to be canonised. The Roman crypt, situated beneath the choir, is still there and was used for the worship of relics that were the focus of large pilgrimages. This crypt still contains a monument formed from an ancient tombstone resting on two brick blocks, known as the “tombstone of Saint Guy”, who was canonised in 1112. The church also contains numerous works of art, including a series of mural paintings, as well as a rich collection of funerary monuments. (Listed 25/10/1938)

Practical information

  • Place de la Vaillance/Dapperheidsplein
    1070 Brussels
    • Sat. & Sun. from 10h00 to 18h00
    • M
      Saint-Guidon/Sint-Guido
    • T
      Saint-Guidon/Sint-Guido
    • B
      Saint-Guidon/Sint-Guido