The Horta Museum

37
The Horta Museum

In 1898, Victor Horta purchased two sites on the Rue Américaine/Amerikaanse straat, building his home on one and his studio on the other. The architect made continuous changes to both buildings before moving to the Avenue Louise/Louizalaan in 1919. After having various owners, the house was acquired by the municipality of Saint-Gilles in 1961 at the instigation of Jean Delhaye, with the studio being purchased in 1971. Following successive restoration projects, Horta’s creations have now regained their original appearance. Thankfully, the murals, wrought iron, glazed brick facing and mosaics had been well preserved. Inside, the staircase plays an important role in linking the spaces. Its elegantly curved bannister reflects Horta’s declared love for soft lines. When turning the wood and cutting the stained glass, he was heavily inspired by the curves of plants. Objects and period furniture bring this remarkable example of Brussels’s Art Nouveau heritage back to life. (Listed 16/10/1963)

Practical information

  • Rue Américaine/Amerikaanse straat 27
    1060 Brussels
    • Sat. & Sun. from 10h00 to 13h00
    • T
      Janson
    • T
      Janson, Trinité/Drievuldigheid
    • T
      Bailli/Baljuw
    • B
      Trinité/Drievuldigheid