The Pierre Majerus Belgian Centre for Stained Glass

21
The Pierre Majerus Belgian Centre for Stained Glass

Formerly located in the Chaussée de Wavre/Steenweg op Waver, Pierre Majerus’s workshops, founded in 1965, moved to the Avenue de la Chasse/Jachtlaan in 1980, to a former soap factory later converted into a garage. After passing through the big metal gate, you enter a courtyard where old glass-roofed industrial buildings are home to craftsmen whose work reflects the spirit of the master artisan, who died in 1994. Many churches and private homes, as well as châteaux, hotels and even restaurants, have turned to the workshops for restorations and new creations. Pierre Majerus, who learned the technique of concrete beading for stained glass windows, persuaded the director of Saint-Gobain Glass to insert stained glass into double glazed units. This operation, which was a major success, enabled several masterpieces to be saved while providing better insulation for buildings. The workshop is still in business.

Practical information

  • Avenue de la Chasse/Jachtlaan 62
    1040 Brussels
    • Sat. & Sun. from 10h00 to 18h00
    • M
      Merode/Schuman
    • T
      Acacias/Acacia, La Chasse/De Jacht
    • B
      La Chasse/De Jacht