The Queen Elisabeth Medical Foundation

54
The Queen Elisabeth Medical Foundation

In 1924, the Queen Elisabeth Foundation signed an agreement with the Brussels General Council of Hospices to build a medical research institute on a site attached to the Brugmann Hospital. The understated Art Deco style brick building, which can be admired on the Avenue J.-J. Crocq/Jean Joseph Crocqlaan, was built by the architect and archaeology enthusiast Henry Lacoste between 1927 and 1933. The house formerly owned by the institute’s director can be seen at the northern end of the building. Right beside it is the main entrance to the Foundation, a deep-set doorway standing at the top of a flight of steps. Lacoste used coloured ceramic tiles for the façade and glass tiles (marbrite) for the interior, as in the large collonaded entrance hall. Visitors will also be enthralled by the library, with its walls lined with wooden shelves and its imposing door surround. (Listed 13/12/2012)

Practical information

  • Avenue J.-J. Crocq/Jean Joseph Crocqlaan 3
    1020 Brussels
    • Sat. & Sun. from 10h00 to 18h00
    • T
      Hôpital Brugmann/Brugmann-ziekenhuis