The Tanners’ Workshops (formerly the Palais du vin)

8
The Tanners’ Workshops (formerly the Palais du vin)

This vast ensemble comprises two closely intertwined complexes: the grand Belle Époque style department store (the Merchie-Pède) and an industrial-style business incorporated into the urban streetscape (the Palais du Vin). The construction of the Palais du Vin, designed by architect Fernand Symons, began in 1909. Symons opted for an Art Nouveau style, as seen in the plant-inspired decor and the polychrome façades, which combine glazed bricks, wrought iron and blue and white stone with sgraffiti decorations by Géo Ponchon. Behind the long, fifteen-bay façade are the areas once used for bottling and the barrel-vaulted rooms used to store the casks. This magnificent complex has belonged to the Centre Public d’Action Sociale since 1996. In 1998 and 2006, the Centre renovated it with the support of the ERDF within the framework of its 2000-2006 programme, the Brussels Region (Monuments and Sites) and Beliris. Renamed “The Tanners’ Workshops”, the 8,000 m_ space was designed to be a dynamic centre of economic development, combining premises for businesses with event organisation. It is also home to an organic market and restaurant. (Listed 29/03/2011)

Practical information

  • Rue des Tanneurs/Huidevettersstraat 58-62
    1000 Brussels
    • Sat. & Sun. from 11h00 to 17h00
    • M
      Gare du Midi/Zuidstation
    • T
      Gare du Midi/ Zuidstation, Lemonnier
    • B
      Gare du Midi/Zuidstation
    • B
      Chapelle/Kapellekerk