The old port: Quai aux Barques

Beyond the Grand Bassin, on the present-day Quai du Commerce, lay the dock called Bassin des Barques. Its piers gave it the look of a marina. It was here that travellers embarked. The site of one of these piers is now occupied by the Quai aux Barques, continuing in a line from Quai au Bois de Construction (‘Timber Wharf’) and opposite Quai à la Chaux (‘Limestone Wharf’) and Quai à la Houille (‘Coal Wharf’), whose names bear witness to the industrial activity in this area at one time. From Bassin des Barques, access could be gained to the last and majestic final part of the inland port of Brussels – where the huge Fish Market is now located.

Practical information

  • Quai aux Barques
    1000 Brussels