Val Duchesse Estate

The estate was originally home to a convent of Dominicans, founded in 1262 by Adelaide of Burgundy, Duchess of Brabant, widow of Henry III, Duke of Brabant. Today, the vast rolling park of 25 hectares, traversed right through by the Woluwe stream, serves as a backdrop for a set of buildings consisting of a château, priory, Norwegian cottage, an orangery and an entrance lodge. Highly varied, it contains the remains of an alluvial forest, ponds, a French-style formal terraced garden with blue stone ornamental lakes and boxwood hedging, as well as vast grassy spaces. The largest ornamental lake, with an area of 5 hectares, is surrounded by a reed bed, while the second, of 75 ares, is hemmed in by willows. The tall trees planted in the park include a black pine, a number of bald cypress trees, a small-leaved lime and an American linden, all registered in the Brussels inventory of remarkable trees. The estate of Val Duchesse is accessible to the public thanks to the support of the Chancery of the Prime Minister, which occupies the premises. (Listed 29/05/1997)

Guided tours available all day (last group at 16h15). In cooperation with Bruxelles Bavard and Itinéraires, sur les Sentiers de l’Histoire.

Practical information

  • avenue Val Duchesse 1
    1160 Brussels
    • Saturday and Sunday from 10h00 to 17h00 (last admission at 16h15)
      access is only permitted on guided tours (20 people per group)
    • T
      Rond-point du Souverain/Vorstrondpunt
    • B
      Auderghem Shopping/Oudergem-Shopping