Positioned on a hillock in the meadow adjoining Hof ter Musschen farm, the wooden windmill has survived many misadventures and changes of location. Its blades originally turned in Esplechin, close to Tournai, where it was erected in 1767. Abandoned due to competition from the flourmills, it was saved at the last minute by Dr Duthoit, who acquired it and had it transported to Arc-Ainières, in the province of Hainaut, in the 1930s. After his death, his widow offered it to the municipality of Woluwe-Saint-Lambert, which transferred it to its territory in 1964. After being heavily damaged by a fire in the early 1980s, it was rebuilt on the Hof ter Musschen site in 1988. The windmill was painstakingly restored between 2015 and 2016 and today constitutes a handsome reminder of rural life in Brussels, a city that once counted many windmills on its territory. (Listed 09/04/1943)
Exhibition on the windmill’s restoration, in the barn of Hof ter Musschen Farm (Avenue Emmanuel Mounier/Emmanuel Mounierlaan 2). Sunday only from 10h00 to 18h00.
In cooperation with the Heritage Protection Department of the municipality of _Woluwe-Saint-Lambert.