Bounded by the Boulevard du Souverain/Vorstlaan, the course of the river Woluwe, Avenue de Tervueren/Tervurenlaan and the Bemel Valley partially encompassed by it, Woluwe Park covers over 71 hectares (63 excluding sports facilities), making it one of the largest green areas in the capital. Completed between 1906 and 1907, the Park was designed according to the plans of the French landscape architect Émile Lainé, with modifications made by Louis van der Swaelmen. The two men were able to take advantage of the myriad rolling berms and different levels which, in places, reach up to 30 metres. In addition to Denis lake and the circular lake, the long lake and the Bemel lake beautifully complement the vast lawns edged with rare species. The landscaped park was installed on former wetlands acquired by Edmond Parmentier from François Mellaerts, the first owner of the premises who gave his name to the two lakes located above the Boulevard de la Woluwe/Woluwedal. The park has 147 remarkable trees, including a magnificent sequoia that is 6.15 metres in circumference, a zelkova from Japan, an Asian kalopanax, as well as lovely copses of maples, beeches, birches, chestnuts, poplars, and bald cypresses from Louisiana. The park is also home to numerous rockeries and is the subject of landscape and phytosanitary studies with a view to its renovation. (Listed 08/11/1972)
Historic walking tours in the park. Saturday and Sunday at 11h00 and 14h00 (duration: 1 hour). Starting point: entrance to the sports centre. Up to 20 people per tour.
In cooperation with Bruxelles Environnement.