The Comic Strip Festival is becoming more and more international each year. After Taiwan and Turkey, it is now Quebec's turn in the spotlight!
From 2-4 September 2016, several authors and creators of comic strip stories from Quebec will make the trip and represent French Canadian literature.
The General Delegation of Quebec in Brussels, in conjunction with the Francophone Comic Strip Festival of Quebec and Quebec Edition, will partner with the Brussels Comic Strip Festival to introduce and display Quebec's 9th art through a special program that runs throughout the weekend: conferences, author encounters, signing sessions, exhibitions, activities, and workshops.
Discover here Quebec authors and the book signings and activities schedule!
Exhibition: 25 important moments in Quebec's comic strip history
Currently very healthy, Quebec comic strip has a rich, often misunderstood history. In twenty-five capsules, those attending the Comic Strip Festival are invited to find out about the important moments in the history of the 9th art in Quebec, from its first known appearance to its current successes, the cartoonists, characters and publishers who have made Quebec comic strip what it is today.
Entertainments for young people
With fun, interactive entertainments offered in the Quebec Area, everybody is invited to get together with Quebec cartoonists and take part in different activities in which drawing will take centre stage.
- 15:30 – 16:15: Drawing is easy! with Tristan Demers
- 10:30 – 11:15: Le Noctambule, with Sampar
- 12:30 – 13:15: Discover the world of the Dragouilles! with Maxim Cyr
- 13:15 – 14:00: The Smikee strip, with Freg & Makina
- 16:00 – 16:45: Stroke by stroke, with Bach
- 10:30 – 11:15: The Omnivers of Alex A
- 12:00 – 12:45: Drawing is easy! with Tristan Demers
At the Comic Strip Festival, the public is invited to take a close look at Quebec cartoonists as they draw.
- 17:45 – 18:15: Gautier Langevin & Olivier Carpentier
- 11:15 – 11:45: Maxim Cyr
- 12:00 – 12:30: Alex A
- 14:00 – 14:30: Tristan Demers
- 14:45 – 15:15: Djief
- 16:45 – 17:15: François Miville-Deschênes
- 18:15 – 18:45: Bach
- 11:15 – 11:45: Sampar
- 12:45 – 13:15: Samuel Cantin
- 14:00 – 14:30: Freg & Makina
- 15:30 – 16:15: Zviane
These interviews in the Quebec Area give the public the opportunity to meet Quebec cartoonists participating in the Comic Strip Festival and find out about their career paths.
- 17:00 – 17:30: Julie Delporte
- 18:30 – 19:00: Sylvain Lemay
- 15:30 – 16:00: Jean-Paul Eid
- 13:30 – 14:00: Delaf & Dubuc
- 14:45 – 15:15: Michel Rabagliati
In 2015, Quebec and Wallonia-Brussels set up an exchange residency for cartoonists. At the Comic Strip Festival, come and listen to the cartoonists who have taken part in these exchanges or who have drawn new creative friendships from the experience.
- 16:15 – 16:45: Studio companions, with Djief & Jean-Luc Cornette
- 17:30 – 18:00 : Leaving to create, with Julie Delporte & Alcante
Come and watch episodes of the programme BD QC
The documentary series BD QC offers a boundless journey to the heart of Quebec comic strip. Presented by the actress Sophie Cadieux, each episode traces the portrait of a cartoonist by exploring his favourite subjects, his sources of inspiration, his creative techniques and his influences. At the Cartoon Festival, see exclusive episodes from the first two series produced by Argus Films and broadcast in Quebec on the ICI ARTV channel.
- 15:00 – 15:30: Réal Godbout & Pierre Fournier
- 19:00 – 19:30: Jean-Paul Eid
- 19:30 – 20:00: Obom
- 10:00 – 10:30: Zviane
- 18:45 – 19:10: Michel Rabagliati
- 19:10 - 19h35: Guy Delisle
- 19:35 – 20:00: Thierry Labrosse
- 10:00 – 10:30: Delaf & Dubuc
- 16:15 – 16:40: Djief
- 16:40 – 19:05: Philippe Girard
- 19:05 – 19:30: Julie Rocheleau
- 19:30 – 20:00: Jimmy Beaulieu