- Jan joined EY Law in September 2018. Prior to joining EY Law, he was founding partner of KOAN where he co-headed the TMT-department and corporate department for 14 years.
- Jan joined the Brussels bar in 1991 and is also a solicitor of the Supreme Court of England & Wales since 1998, which allowed him to practice in London and acquire an in-depth knowledge of the Anglo-Saxon business law and practices.
- Jan has a Master degree in Law at the KU Leuven and at the College of Law in London. He also obtained a bachelor degree in the Thomistic Philosophy at the KU Leuven.
- Jan also participated in the European Young lawyers’ scheme.
- Jan is trilingual (Dutch-French-English).
- Jan began his career in 1991 as a general commercial lawyer, but quickly started specializing in corporate/commercial law and subsequently in IT/e-commerce/data protection law since 1998.
- In 1998/1999, Jan started developing a special interest in the media sector with focus on technologies, media & communication (TMT). He has since then acquired an extensive knowledge of this sector and is regularly required by national and international corporations and non for profit organizations to assist them in mid-seized and larger TMT projects in Belgium or abroad. Jan also has a long track record in the medical, pharma and life science sector.
- Jan’s data protection practice has gained substantial importance in recent years in light of the evolving EU legislation (in particular the GDPR) and currently represents the major part of his business.
- Jan gives lectures in Belgium and abroad on a regular basis, mostly on TMT, data protection and other aspects of digital law.
- Jan is special counsel to the board of DNS Belgium (the official Belgian Domain Name Registrar Organization).
- Jan is president of the Arbitration Commission for Professional Conduct Rules and Ethics in the Pharmaceutical Industry (pharma.be).
- Jan was a board member at the Interactive Advertising Bureau (IAB Belgium) between 2005 and 2017 and became subsequently an expert member of the legal taskforce of the Belgian Association of Marketing (BAM) into which the IAB has been merged with other media associations in 2017.
- Jan is a judge at the Dispute Resolution Commission of the Belgian Football Association (KBVB/URBSFA).
- Jan was board member at the Council for Advertising Practices.
- Jan is arbiter at Cedires (Centre for Dispute Resolution).